Friday, January 20, 2017

Rabbit Care Basics

Today I'm going to talk about the essentials of rabbit care.
#1: Water
Obviously, rabbits need a fresh supply of clean, cool water at all times. Some people use water bottles, and others use water bowls. Personally, I choose water bowls so they don't crack in the winter as easy. But I think in the summer, I'll switch to bottles, because I've noticed that my rabbits will urinate in the bowls and toss them around and dump them when bored, so I think water bottles will be cleaner, at the very least just for my rabbits.
#2: Food
Of course rabbits need food, so that's what we'll talk about next. I feed my rabbits Pen Pals rabbit feed, grass hay at all times, and black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) to boost their condition a little when necessary, since they help a rabbit's coat stay shiny. There are different types of hay: Timothy hay, grass hay, and alfalfa. (I'm sure there's more, but these are the ones I'll talk about) I use grass hay, because alfalfa hay contains too much calcium for the adult rabbits, and we have only adults right now. I've never tried Timothy hay for rabbits, simply because it's too expensive near me. Another option is to try natural feeding, where you use hay and grains, such as wheat, barley, oats, etc. as well as a salt block to feed your rabbits without using commercial pellets. I definitely like that idea, although, again, I've never tried it. It seems to me like since it's rather close to their natural diet, it would be easily palatable and digestible. I just haven't investigated as to how well it maintains their condition or how expensive it is. Anybody have more information on natural feeding?
#3: Shelter
You'll need a suitable hutch or cage if you want to raise or keep rabbits. The smallest size a rabbit's cage should be is 24" x 24", and that's a size I would use for a dwarf rabbit. The cage should be at least four times the rabbit. How I judge cage size, is I look at the rabbit, then I consider the cage. If I'm the rabbit, can I stand up to my full height without bonking my head? Do I have enough room to move around freely? That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to make a cage big enough for your rabbit to run a marathon, just at least enough room to move around. You should have only one rabbit per cage, in my opinion, especially if you are raising show rabbits. There are too many mishaps that can happen with trying to bond rabbits together. Don't listen to anyone who says rabbits MUST have a companion; my rabbits live next to each other very comfortably. They don't have to share, but they still communicate with no risk of one rabbit pulling another's hair out, or even ripping off half an ear or tail. Now, let's discuss what to make the cage out of. I HIGHLY suggest all wire cages. You don't have to clean the cage as often; I clean my cages twice monthly with Dawn dish soap and remove the manure from the ground. Wire is cleaner, because urine can't soak into wood, and if you're worried about sore hocks, you can give them a resting board/mat. We have all wire cages with wooden frames and legs, and we've never had problems with sore hocks.
#4: Nail Trimming and Teeth care
Rabbits' nails and teeth never stop growing. Neglecting to trim their nails or give them adequate chew toys can result in malocclusion and overgrown nails; both are extremely painful for the rabbit, and malocclusion may very well result in the death of your rabbit, due to loss of appetite.
So that's the basics of rabbit care. I will discuss other individual topics at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment